Saturday, June 27, 2009

2 months old!

Dio turned two months old yesterday. I'm still a bit stunned that I've already given birth and now all of a sudden I have a chubby 2-month-old. With a toddler to take care of as well, I haven't had time to just sit for hours on end, gazing into Dio's eyes and thinking about how cute my newborn is and how in love I am. It's more like jumping on a bullet train and you're gasping for breath and trying to take in the view before it disappears.

Dio's crankiness is getting better. He started smiling when he was 6 weeks old, and we're getting more grins out of him every day, although none on camera yet. We've discovered that he likes being held facing outward looking at things, rather than facing my chest. But the absolute best thing is setting him underneath a quaking aspen on a windy day. (And here in southern Alberta, most days are windy). He'll lie there contentedly, looking around, waving his arms and legs, for 20-30 minutes at a time.
Eric, his dad, and his sister ran a 10K this morning. Maybe I'll be up for running that distance again in a few months, but not right now! I started running a bit this week and had to take it very easy, and it was more walking than running. Eric was disappointed because he ran it in 46 minutes--the longest he's ever run a 10K. I was rolling my eyes a bit because I think that's pretty impressive, especially for someone who's more of a sprinter than a distance runner.
Zari put on her grandma's zip-up jacket and wouldn't take it off for much of the day.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for all your posts. I'm amazed you get anything posted with the busy phase of life you're in right now. I have a 26 month old daughter and baby #2 due in 4 weeks. Any advice on managing both at the same time? Anything you had to figure out the hard way or wished you had known on the front end? I have a feeling my toddler will have an issue with two things - me nursing the baby and the baby sleeping with me. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle that just yet. Any helpful hints from your household?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well lots of times I feel like I'm just scraping by! The hardest thing is that I can't meet everyone's needs at the same time, so someone sometimes just has to wait (and often, cry) while I tend to the other sibling. I talked to Zari a lot about the baby coming: not just the birth, but other things like "the new baby will nurse a lot" etc. I think it's good to find time to spend alone, just with the older sibling, while dad holds the baby. She definitely has been more whiny and clingy since he was born. She also started to ask to nurse all the time after he was born. It's slowed down, now, but when she gets hurt or frustrated, it's "mama I need to nurse!" I'm pretty firm about nursing her only at nap and bedtime, because otherwise she'd nurse and nurse and nurse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your baby is adorable, and it sounds as if you are having the same 2nd baby experience I am. my youngest, born march 12, also adores watching trees and anything else moving around, though it seems it usually ends up being me and my toddler running by her. I feel so fortunate that she is so relaxed and easily entertained (not at all like her sister), yet sometimes I wonder how getting less attention at this age will affect her. all I can hope for is a happy, healthy child, which she seems to already be! hoping both of yours are too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It's more like jumping on a bullet train and you're gasping for breath and trying to take in the view before it disappears."

    Love, LOVE that analogy. Sound like you guys had a good time, and he is so gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a huge adjustement going from one little one to two. You are doing wonderfully...hang on for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dio has this look like "you are taking pictures of me because why?"

    Your children are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're in southern AB? Then you're just down the road from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...